With another busy and successful school year behind us, we look forward to our challenges and accomplishments during the current and future school years. The District leadership worked diligently during the spring of 2019 to establish SMART strategic goals for the District moving forward. These goals are:
1. ECUSD1 will improve communication and cooperation with the community-at-large by being active listeners, soliciting more community feedback, working with the Village of Erie, sponsoring the efforts of the Revitalize Erie group, and sustaining a school system that reflects community values and priorities. This will be accomplished by seeking community input for all future building projects, by coordinating infrastructure improvements with the Village of Erie, and by supporting Revitalize Erie efforts.
2. ECUSD1 will work with the Village of Erie to establish a shared school resource officer position within the community. This position will primarily serve the needs of the District during the day on school days and will primarily serve the needs of the community on non-school days. The intergovernmental agreement and job description will be approved by June 30, 2019 and the estimated position start date will be August 1, 2019.
Curriculum & Instruction
3. ECUSD1 will establish and implement innovative STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) facilities and curriculum for all students in grades PK-12. STEM facilities will be completed by December 31, 2019, STEM curriculum enhancements will be recommended by April 1, 2020, and STEM curriculum enhancements will be fully implemented by August 15, 2020.
4. ECUSD1 will improve the quality of school-sponsored co-curricular programs, including but not limited to, all fine arts programs, all academic teams, all school clubs, all school service organizations, and all school athletics by promoting system-wide processes and procedures (i.e. meetings, job descriptions, evaluations, off-season programs, etc.) for building and sustaining consistent programs throughout the District. This will be accomplished by ensuring that all shareholders within each specific program work cooperatively towards one, common goal of excellence. Every individual employee within a respective program will be held accountable for the success of the entire District program. Evidence of improvement should be measurable by June 30, 2020.
Social-Emotional and Safety Needs
5. ECUSD1 will improve the social-emotional learning environment for students in grades PK-12 by implementing the Franklin Covey Leader in Me® program and character education framework. The staff development component will be initiated during the 2019-2020 school year and the student component will be initiated during the 2020-2021 school year.
6. ECUSD1 will improve the safety and security of students by establishing more secured entrances in current and future buildings and by updating and managing District crisis plans and maps more efficiently. The physical plant improvements will be completed by August 10, 2019. The crisis plan and maps will be updated and managed via NaviGate Prepared® by August 10, 2019.
7. ECUSD1 will address the aging physical plant needs of the elementary school and the annex building by finalizing a plan for Phase III of the school construction project. A formal plan of action will be approved by October 1, 2019 with a projected completion date of July 31, 2021. Increased community involvement will be initiated and expected during this process.
A few of these strategic goals (#2 & #6) are approaching 100% completion, others (#3 & #5) are well on their way, and the rest (#1, #4, & #7) will be a continuous work in progress. We are excited to have a realistic roadmap to measure the success of our District.
As always, if you would like to discuss our District goals and/or anything else, please call me at 309.659.2239 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.